Exercise can feel like a chore and running can top the list as an exercise you either love or hate. However, if your looking for a way to improve your life both physically and mentally than running may just be the best place to start. There’s no need to push yourself beyond what you’re comfortable with.
If you think running is an exercise you want to learn how to love than keep reading to discover 7 ways to adapt to running.
- Start gradually, start with a gentle walk up to 30 minutes.
- Insert segments of 5-10 seconds of running, every 1-2 minutes, every other day.
- Stick to your routine, be regular with your run-walk–about every other day.
- Don’t drink or eat very much before a run. Eating 100-200 calories of simple carbohydrates.
- Run and walk slowly enough that you can carry on a conversation–even at the end. You shouldn’t be pushing yourself out of pace to the point in which your huffing and puffing.
- Slow down and walk more when it’s hot. The best time to run/walk, on a hot day is before the sun gets above the horizon.
- Find ways to enjoy every run.
Running doesn’t have to feel like a chore, nor should it. With the right amount of motivation and training, you could be a routine runner in no time.