Starting a healthy diet, food tracking, and reading labels can be hard lifestyle changes. Start smaller by reducing portions to healthy sizes.
Let’s start with learning how to manage at home portions.
1. Take a suggested serving and eat it on a plate instead of right out of the box.
2. Don’t eat while you’re busy doing other activities such as watching tv, driving, lounging.
3. Use smaller dishes, cups, containers.
4. Eat snacks such as fruit or single-serving low-calorie options.
5. Eat slowly! This allows your brain to get the signal to your stomach that you’re full.
6. Finally, fully enjoy the elements of your meal like the taste and smell!
Now for the tricky part, managing portions when you’re out to eat.
1. Eat half now and eat the rest later.
2. Order one or two healthy appetizers or side dishes in place of a whole meal.
3. Say goodbye to provided bread baskets and chips.
4. Split a dish with a friend!
5. If you can, pick the smaller sized dish over the larger sized one.
Portioning shouldn’t be overwhelming but incorporating these small tricks can make it a healthy part of your life without too many restrictions.